A. Составьте предложения для каждой ситуации, используя слова в скобках.
You went to Jill's house but she wasn't there.
You went back to your home town after many years. It wasn't the same as before.
I invited Rachel to the party but she couldn't come.
You went to the cinema last night. You arrived at the cinema late.
I was very pleased to see Tim again after such a long time.
I offered Sue something to eat but she wasn't hungry.
B. Прочтите ситуации и составьте предложения, заканчивающиеся на before, используя слова в скобках.
The man sitting next to me on the plane was very nervous. It was his first flight.
A woman walked into the room. She was a complete stranger to me.
Simon played tennis yesterday. He wasn't very good at it because it was his first game.
Last year we went to Denmark. It was our first time there.
C. Используйте предложения слева для того чтобы дополнить предложения справа. Предложения слева пронумерованы в том порядке, в каком происходили события: (1) случилось перед (2), (2) перед (3). Поскольку предложение справа не всегда начинается с (1), а с того предложения которое подчеркнуто, вам возможно придется использовать Past Perfect.
1. (1) Somebody broke into the office during the night. (2)We arrived at work in the morning. (3) We called the police.
We arrived at work in the morning and found
that somebody into the office during the night. So we .
2. (1) Ann went out. (2)I tried to phone her this morning. (3) There was no answer.
I tried to phone Ann this morning but no answer. She out.
3. (1) Jim came back from holiday a few days ago. (2)I met him the same day. (3) He looked very well.
I met Jim a few years ago. He just . He .
4. (1) Kevin wrote to Sally many times. (2) She never replied to his litters. (3)Yesterday he had a phone call from her. (4) He was very surprised.
Yesterday Kevin . He very surprised. He many times but she .
D. Поставьте глаголы в правильной форме (past perfect или past simple).
1. 'Was Tom at the party when you arrived?' 'No, he home.'
2. I felt very tired when I got home, so I straight to bed.
3. The house was very quiet when I got home. Everybody to bed.
4. Sorry I'm late. The car down on my way here.
5. We were driving along the road when we a car which down, so we to see if we could help.
E. Поставьте глаголы в наиболее подходящей форме: Past Continuous (I was doing), Past Perfect (I had done).
1. It was very noisy next door. Our neighbours a party.
2. We were good friends. We each other for a long time.
3. John and I went for a walk. I had difficulty keeping up with him because he so fast.
4. Marry was sitting on the ground. She was out of breath. She .
5. When I arrived, everybody was sitting round the table with their mouths full. They .
6. When I arrived, everybody was sitting round the table and talking. Their mouths were empty but their stomachs were full. They .
7. Jim was on his hands and knees on the floor. He for his contact lens.
8. When I arrived, Kate for me. She was rather annoyed with me because I was late and she for a very long time.
9. I was sad when I sold my car. I it for a very long time.
10. We were extremely tired at the end of the journey. We for more than 24 hours.
F. Ann сказала вам:
I've never been to the United States. I can't drive. I'm working tomorrow evening. Jane is a friend of mine. I don't have any brothers or sisters. I don't like fish. Jane has a very well-paid job. Dave is lazy.
Однако позже она сказала вам совсем другое. Что вы ответите?
ANN: Dave works very hard.
ANN: Let's have fish for dinner.
ANN: I'm going to buy a car.
ANN: Jane is always short of money.
ANN: My sister lives in London.
ANN: I think New York is a fantastic place.
ANN: Let's go out tomorrow evening.
ANN: I've never spoken to Jane.
G. Дополните предложения используя say или tell в правильной форме.
1. Ann goodbye to me and left.
2. us about your holiday. Did you have a nice time?
3. Don't just stand there! something!
4. I wonder where Sue is. She she would be here at 8 o'clock.
5. Jack me that he was fed up with his job.
6. The doctor that I should rest for at least a week.
7. Don't anybody what I . It's a secret just between us.
8. 'Did she you what happened?' 'No, she didn't anything to me.'
9. George couldn't help me. He me to ask Kate.
10. George couldn't help me. He to ask Kate.
H. Следующие предложения представляют собой прямую речь:
Don't wait for me if I'm late.
Can you open your bag, please?
Please slow down!
Don't worry, Sue.
Will you marry me?
Mind your own business.
Could you repeat what you said, please?
Do you think you could give me a hard, Tom?
Выберите одно из них, чтобы дополнить предложения, приведенные ниже.
1. Bill was taking a long time to get ready, so I .
2. Sarah was driving too fast, so I asked .
3. Sue was very pessimistic about the situation. I told .
4. I couldn't move the piano along, so I .
5. The customs officer looked at me suspiciously and .
6. I had difficulty understanding him, so I .
7. I didn't want to delay Ann, so I .
8. John was very much in love with Mary, so he .
9. He started asking me personal questions, so .
I. Прочтите вопросы в скобках и составьте предложения.
(Where has Tom gone?)
Do you know .
(Where is the post office?)
Could you tell me where
(What's the time?)
(What does this word mean?)
I want to know
(What time did they leave?)
Do you know
(Is Sue going out tonight?)
;I don't know
(Where does Carol live?)
Have you any idea
(Where did I park the car?)
I can't remember
(Is there a bank near here?)
Can you tell me .
(What do you want?)
(Why didn't Kay come to the party?)
I don't know
(Do you have to pay to park here?)
Do you know
(Who is that woman?)
I've no idea
(Did Ann receive my letter?)
Do you know
(How far is it to the airport?)
Can you tell me
J. Вы звоните по телефону. Вы хотите поговорить с Sue, но ее нет дома. Кто-то другой отвечат вам. Вы хотите знать:
(1) Where has she gone?
(2) When will she be back?
(3) Did she go out alone?
Дополните ваш разговор:
A: Do you know where (1)?
B: Sorry, I've got no idea.
A: Never mind. I don't suppose you know (2)?
B: No, I'm afraid not.
A: One more thing. Do you happen to know (3)?
B: I'm afraid I didn't see her go out.
A: OK. Well, thank you anyway. Goodbye.
K. Вы надолго уезжали из города и только что вернулись домой. Вы встречаете друга Gerry, и он задает вам множество вопросов:
How are you?
Where have you been?
How long have you been?
What are you doing now?
Where are you living?
Why did you come back?
Are you glad to be back?
Do you have any plans to go away again?
Can you land me some money?
Теперь расскажите другому приятелю о том, что спрашивал вас Gerry. Используйте косвенную речь.